The beach, lake or pool time. The long days. The amount of fresh produce that you crave (hopefully that is not just me).
So, one of my favorite things about this season is the cooking! There is so much to make while the produce is great and the grill is hot!
While here in Chicago, we do not have a grill, Philip and I have enjoyed so many different types of dishes to satisfy our Summer palate. When we were on our honeymoon in Kaua'i we ordered a dish that I knew I would need to replicate when returning to the mainland.
Philip is not a guy who would choose fish if offered chicken or steak - however, this dish has become a favorite of his and it is such a simple, healthy and fun summer dinner!
* If buying fresh fish - always talk to the fish butcher about what you like and do not like. If you like a buttery fish or want an easy one to grill, they will give you great advice, even regarding what to purchase from the frozen packaged section!
- 12-24 oz White Fish (Wahoo/Ono, Halibut, Flounder, Tilipia)
- 2 Large Flour Tortilla (Spinach or Whole Wheat)
- 1/2 Avocado (sliced moderately thin)
- Cheddar cheese (shredded) - or a mixed cheese pkg
- 1 Small Lime (optional - and cut into wedges)
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
THEN HERE YOU GO....
- Preheat oven or grill to cook fish of choice. I like to rub a small amount of olive oil on the fish then sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides - I like to squeeze one wedge of lime over the fish. Completely cook fish till meat can easily be pulled apart. Set aside.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese (not so heavy) filling up half of the open tortilla.
- Pull cooked fish apart so you have pieces to place on top of cheese. Evenly spread fish on the cheese.
- Take sliced avocado, place on fish and cheese, evenly spread to your desire.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese then fold the empty tortilla side over. Using a turner, turn your now quesadilla over to melt cheese you just put on top.
- Wait till cheese is melted and tortilla starts to get a bit crispy, ~5 min (depending on heat source). Remove from heat, let cool for a few minutes then slice into 3-4 sections.
* Optional - drizzle a line or two of ranch of choice on top of quesadillas and have sliced limes and salsa standing by for extra flavor.
- Spruce up your Salads with some fruit and mix green leaf lettuce with spinach leaves!
- A favorite: Lettuce, Spinach, Carrots, Shredded Italian Cheese and Peaches with a BBQ Ranch dressing (1/3 BBQ sauce + 2/3 Ranch + a pinch of grilling seasoning)
- Take the time to make a fruit salad to keep in a large container or bowl:
- 1/2 Watermelon, 1 Mango, 1 Pineapple, 1 lb. Strawberries, ~1 lb. Blueberries, 2-3 Kiwi, 2 Peaches (All in tiny pieces, mix and enjoy all day, at any time, with any meal!)
- Fruit is such a great way to also stay hydrated during these hot summer months!
- DESSERT!! for 2
- Low fat berry ice cream or frozen yogurt, chocolate pudding, oreos, fresh berries.
- In a small glass/wine glass: 1 scoop of ice cream, 1/2 pack of pudding snack pack (low fat), 1 oreo crumbled then berries of your choice - be active & treat yourself!
Hope you enjoy these little ideas for your meals at home!